Past Meetings

Meetings Past

 

--> Download minutes here: FoTBP_Minutes_-_May_29_2014_updated.pdf

When: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 7-8:30pm
Where: Trinity Recreation Centre on Crawford, room tba

AGENDA
Chair: Sian

  1.  Welcome & Intro - Chair
  2. Social Media Report - Carolyn, Laura, Michaelle
  3. Adopt a Tree – Michaelle
  4. Greenhouse - Elizabeth
  5. Market –Carolyn
  6. Park Days - Patricia
  7. Park Events this summer
  8. Park Supervisor Updates - Brian
  9. Councillor Layton’s office Updates & Queries -Layton
  10. Updates
    1. John Gibson House Issues – tbc
    2. Dog  Area Fountain Installation - tbc
    3. Park Safety Audit - Sian
    4. Donation Station Developments – Sian
  11. Budget – Sian
  12. NEW/OTHER BUSINESS- your item here!
  13. Finalize next Chair,Identify items for next meeting

 

Friends Fall Park meeting was held Monday, 7pm to 8:30pm at the Rec Centre in the main floor activity room.

--> Download Minutes here: FoTBP Oct 7 2013_Minutes.pdf

Come get updates on our activities; Adopt-a-tree, green house, farmers market, Park Day, playground and more.  Also; what about that bike rack poll?, slack line poles and illegal vendors? Have any questions, observations, concerns, would like to get involved with sustaining our lovely urban park? Then, this is the meeting to check out.

Everyone welcome!  Below is agenda.   Items arriving tonight not on agenda, will be placed under 'new business'. thanks!

 agenda_Oct.713_.pdf

Friends of Trinity Bellwoods - Fall Park Meeting

March 7th, 2013
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Trinity Recreation Centre
Room tbd

Steering Committee Reports (5 min each = 30 minutes total)
- Introductions by meeting Chair – Sian
- Social media – Carolyn
- Farmers’ Market – Carolyn
- Adopt-a-tree – Sian
- Greenhouse – Elizabeth Willing

Park Business (Each item is a 5 min followed by Q&A = 60 mins total)
- Bike rack at Queen/Gorevale, our website poll
- Illegal vendors in park – Sian/Brian Green
- Slack lines, general – Bgreen
- Path maintenance – Marco/Layton
- Homegrown National Park Ranger update - Aidan
- new governance model for Friends? – Patricia
- Gibson House, tree, renos update
- Park Day plans?  Mulch, bulbs…
- Events in park – Carolyn
- Need for new rink schedule (Anna/Chris following up)

New Business
- Projexity – Marisa Bernstein

 

--> Download Minutes here:  FoTBP_June_17_2013_mins.pdf

When:  Monday, June 17, 2013 from 7pm - 8:30p,
Where: Rec Centre in the park, 2nd floor PW55 Room (just beside the elevators)

Park Panorama1 1 4

Do you have a special concern or interest or query about the park?  Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and it can be added to the agenda.

FINAL AGENDA

I. STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS (30 Minutes)
1) Introductions by Chair (Patricia) - 5 min.
2) Website & Twitter Update (Carolyn and Leigh) - 2 min.
3) Farmer's Market (Carolyn) - 5 min.
4) Adopt-a-tree update (Michaelle) - 2 min.
5) Green House update (Anna or Gene) - 5 min.

II. PARK BUSINESS (45 Minutes)
6) Tree removal/Gibson House Construction UPDATE (Lisa K)
7) Yoga, Health, Wellness Fair - (Marcus McLean
8) Toronto’s Homegrown National Park project - UPDATE (Aidan)
9) Corporate promo in the park -- good or bad? (Brian G/Park Supervisor)
10) Proposal for a permanent skateboard space in the park - is there support? (Ariel Stagni)
11) Getting our group charitable status, a real Brd of Directors, etc - is it time? (Patricia)

III. OTHER BUSINESS (15 Minutes)
(Up to you)

 

Friends winter meeting was held March 7th, 7pm to 8:30pm at the Rec Centre, 2nd floor art room. 

Minutes by M. McLean

 

Present (19 people): Anna Hill (Chair), Michaelle McLean (Minutes), Carolyn Wong (Steering Committee), Marco Bianchi (Councillor Layton's office), Brian Green (Park Supervisor), Gene Threndyle, Jiva Mackay, Paul Mezei, Melissa Luk, Phil Goodfellow, Matt Galvin, John Sheard, Ben Watt-Meyer, + others

 

AGENDA

Steering Committee Reports (Each item is a 5 minute presentation = 30 minutes total)

-         Introductions by meeting Chair – Anna

-         Social media – Leigh/Carolyn

-         Farmers’ Market – Carolyn

      -         Adopt-a-tree – Michaelle
      -        Greenhouse – Anna

      -        Greenhouse Discussion Group / Rec Centre Pop Up Café – Gene and Jiva

Park Business (Each item is a 5 minute presentation followed by 5 minute us of Q&A = 60 minutes total)

-         John Gibson House/Tree Removal – Lisa K

-         Need for revised ice rink schedule & natural ice rink - Anna

-         Little Free Library (LFL) committee update – Melissa/Rich

-         Garrison Creek, David Suzuki National Park - Minaz

      -         Bike racks, slackline & other - Brian Green, Parks Supervisor

Other Business (30 mins approx.) - other business added on the spot pending time availability

 ***

7:00pm Welcome and introduction by Chair and a reminder that anyone can be on the Steering Committee but ask that you come with an area of interest you are prepared to volunteer organising.

Steering Committee Reports

1. 7:02pm FoTBP Social Media Update – Carolyn – FoTBP's website, Face Book page and Twitter account are all volunteer run; aim is to post anything park-related; feel free to forward info to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

2.  7:05pm Farmer's Market Update – Carolyn (Market Manager) – first day will be May 7th; there will be a few new vendors but the line-up is still being finalised;
- Chris asks how one can apply to be a vendor; Carolyn explains application is by invitation, each vendor submits a deposit of $250 with a season fee of $500; per Public Health rules 51% of the vendors must be farmers so Carolyn curates the selection; cap is 20 vendors due to parking limitations.

3.  7:10pm Adopt A Tree Program Update – Michaelle (AAT Coordinator, a volunteer position) – 2013 season doesn't get going until mid-May or early June depending on weather; will be checking in with all the adopters shortly; always looking for more adopters; recently Park People commissioned Michaelle to write a "How to start Your Own AAT" to be made available on their website and to other "Friends of" groups.

4. 7:12pm Greenhouse Update – Anna (Greenhouse Coordinator) – since inception the Greenhouse has only been used in the late winter/early spring for seedlings; about 30 individuals have been involved; two years ago the AAT started using the water source in the summer; last winter the Greenhouse was broken into three times and someone was occupying it so a call was put out to develop programs in the Greenhouse for other months of the year; Gene and Jiva started the "Hot House Discussion Group" in the Greenhouse over the first nine weekends in 2013.
- the next Greenhouse meeting is Sunday, March 17 from 11am to 1pm in the Greenhouse – all welcome.

5. 7:12pm Greenhouse Discussion Group / Pop Up Café – Gene and Jiva
Gene and Jiva are proposing a pop-up café in the Rec Centre using its kitchen over this summer on Tuesday evenings after the Farmer's market. This would be a small, sort of trial run for a café that would happen more often, and perhaps all year. They have no resources at the moment and have only just started developing the idea – they'd like the support of Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park.
Anna (Chair) – explains that FoTBP Steering Committee itself doesn't generally take official positions but seeks to be a conduit for community feedback; opens the floor for feedback and asks if anybody present has objections or questions to the idea?
Question – what would be the price of a meal?
Answer (Gene) – don't know yet, there still lots to work out.
Question (Michaelle) – would it ever involve building a new building or more structures in the park's green space?
Answer (Gene) – No, they're aiming to use the existing and un-used facilities in the Rec Centre.
Anna (Chair)- no one seems to be against the idea so you can say you've got community support at this meeting.
Action:
- if people want to help put this idea together contact Gene at gene at genedigs dot com

- FoTBP to post the info on the website and include in next eBlast with a link to the Hot House Discussion FaceBook page
Copy of Community Suppers Proposal Hot_House_Community_Suppers_docx.pdf
Copy of Hot House Discussion Report Hot_House_Discussion_Group_Trinity_Bellwoods_docx.pdf

Park Business

6. 7:35pm John Gibson House Expansion & the Maple Tree
Paul Mezei (of Relish Design) explained that he was invited to a meeting with the city planner by a Crawford Street resident; lots has changed to the renovation/addition plans for JGH since the public meeting in 2009 which will impact the park including the proposed removal of the maple tree for a wheelchair ramp – despite the assurances in 2009 that no trees would be lost. The renovation is planned in three stages 1) Accessibility ramp which has some funding in place; 2) interior renovations, and 3) exterior renovations and rebuilding (no funding yet in place).
- Marco clarifies that JGH is on a lot that is city-owned but the lot is not parkland and reports that the zoning examiners have given the renovation a go-ahead
- Comment from the floor – but the new fences and transformers will impact the green space which is heavily used now by the public
- Comment from the floor – because TBP is such a heavily used park perhaps a big media push suggesting JGH's current use has outgrown the park could help?
- Comment from the floor – (Michele) – has advice on what to file with the city to prove your parking access if you live behind JGH; believes construction will take 1 ½ years and that construction vehicles will be coming through the middle of the park because of access difficulties through the north laneway due to land-owners needing parking access to their property
- Marco – Councillor Layton's office will be continuing their good dialogue with Jim McMann (Coordinator of JGH) and the Property Manager with regard to the tree and it's currently looking good for a re-design of the wheelchair ramp so the tree will be saved.
- Paul would like to bring this to the attention of neighbors and park users and start a working group. Paul leaves a signup sheet for those in the room

Action:

- people interested in putting together a working group should contact Lisa Klapstock at lisaklapstock at rogers dot com
- FoTBP will include a call-out on the website and in next eBlast

7. 8:05pm Need for revised ice rink schedule & natural ice rink – Anna explained that there's been discontent about the ice rink not being accessible for caregivers with kids due to the daily after-school scheduling for shinny hockey for 14-18 year olds from 3 to 5:30pm. As a temporary solution, a community group called "Team Hoser," created a natural ice rink but due to the unpredictable weather it melted a lot; a new solution is needed. Anna and Chris (from the Trinity Bellwoods Community Association) met with Rec Centre Manager Maryann Dibiagio and the ice rink staff about improving the schedule for next season; they seem to have agreed that two afternoons a week would be for public skate, two afternoons for 14-18 year old shinny, and one afternoon could see a split rink for pucks and sticks with caregivers and kids, if allowable. The latter would be an experiment to see if the hockey kids can responsibly share the rink. Anna also reported that she was told that the women's shinny group, currently booked for one evening a week, is interested in a second evening slot.

8.  8:10pm The Little Free Library – Melissa Luk, Phil Goodfellow, and Matt Galvin responded to the FoTBP callout for interested neighbors to take the project on. Phil and Matt (architects living in the neighborhood) presented two possible designs ("Fold" and "Hang") they've created for a small, modern (non-birdhouse-looking) structure that could be attached to the playground fence to house the library. There was good feedback to the designs from the floor with most interest in the modular design, "Hang". Melissa said they need to expand the committee and are looking for members, and that they will need to do further fundraising and will need to spread the word about the project.
- comment from floor (Michaelle) – looks great, but believes that for the project to go forward it needs permanent stewards and concrete plans for its maintenance, care and ultimate demise (a life-time plan). It will not be Park Staff's responsibility nor can FoTBP anticipate their support unless we have all that in place;
Action:
- interested people should contact Melissa at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
- FoTBP will provide info on the website and include a callout in the next eBlast

9.  8:20pm Bike Rack and Slack Lining equipment – Brian Green (our Park Supervisor) reports that the covered bike rack idea grew out of a problem of bikes being left permanently in the park due to being snowed in, etc. However, the covered bike rack pilot will now be run in another park, potentially the Roundhouse Park or Massey Harris Parkette.

- Brian reports that the rise of slack-lining in Trinity Bellwoods park has raised concerns about wear and tear on the trees; Brian met with some slack liners last fall and got input and feedback on a park location and style of installation; he noted that there is already a slack-line installation in Downsview Park; it looks like Parks will trial a slack line area in our park north of the circle but south of the bowl and in the shade; installation of pylons to happen in late 2013; Brian will come back with drawings likely before the installation. Any installation would be easily removed after the pilot if they don't become permanent.

10.  Garrison Creek, David Suzuki National Park - Anna asks if people think FoTBP should apply to be part of The David Suzuki Foundation's mission to establish a "Homegrown National Park" following the former path of Garrison Creek, and if there are any volunteers to take it on? The Suzuki Foundation is seeking motivated and creative individuals who will work together with the David Suzuki Foundation and their project partners to help them enhance urban green space within the Homegrown National Park. The program will kick off with a Camp Suzuki training weekend in April. Foundation staff and program partners will help develop your idea, plan your project and engage your community. They say it's an opportunity to build your leadership skills, get outside and raise awareness of the nature around us;
- no hands popped up; Marco points out that anybody can apply, it doesn't have to be an organisation.

 

Other Business –

- Environment Day, April 13 – Councillor Layton's annual Environment Day will be held this year in Trinity Bellwoods Park, north end approx. where the Farmer's Market is held.

 

 

 

 

Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park

Fall 2012 General Meeting was held September 26, 2012

Minutes: see below

WHEN: Wednesday, September 26, 7 to 8:30pm
WHERE: Trinity Recreation Centre

AGENDA
I. STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS (30 Minutes)
1) Introductions by Chair (Patricia) - 5 min.
2) Website & Twitter Update (Carolyn and Leigh) - 2 min.
3) Farmer's Market (Carolyn) - 5 min.
4) Adopt-a-tree 
& Tree Tour update (Michaelle) - 5 min.
5) Green House  (Anna) - 5 min.

II. PARK BUSINESS (30 Minutes)
6) New Slack-line and exercise equipment in the park-info update
7) Little Free Library presentation - seeking volunteer caretaker

III. OTHER BUSINESS (30 Minutes)

-----------------

Sept. 26, 2012 Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park meeting minutes
- taken by Carolyn Wong

Minutes:
CHAIR: Patricia Cavanaugh
7:05 pm start 

In Attendence (15) : Patricia Cavangh – meeting chair, Carolyn Wong – minutes, Leigh Nunan – Steering Committee, Anna Hill – Steering Committee, Greg York – Little Free Library, Chris Howe, Stan Rzepka, Vance Gilbert – Slack Liner, Bill Lobb, Adam Kabelik – Tennis Club, Marco Bianchi – Councillor Layton’s office, Maria Kasstan, Ausma Malik, Sue Campbell, Gene Throndyle, Jennifer Gagne

1) Patricia does Friends intro then, intros all around. 

2) FAcebook & Twitter - Leigh
Facebook about 300 members

Twitter 331 followers. Would like more followers.
Website is best resource. We try and keep calendar up to date as possible. Please check regularly for postings.

3) Season 6 for market. - Carolyn
Been another great year. Keeping a steady course on our mandate – farmer/food focused. Weather has been on large cooperative.   Our new storage shed is a huge help, great mural and is on large discrete, which was the goal. Only a few more market days left! Volunteers always needed. Contact us
www.tbfm.ca follow us on twitter?TBFarmersMarket (over 800 followers!). Should have treasurer report ready for next meeting….

4) AAT coordinator (Michaelle) not here, but sends this along:
- the program continues to gallop along. We started a bit early this season due to very early spring, and will continue to mid-October-ish depending on the weather and when the Parks staff turn off the water
- while I always feel we're a few people short of a completely full roster of adopters, it's really terrific and amazing and gratifying to see that we have 73 volunteers watering the 94 trees currently in the program.
- This year I added three "Water Captains" to help me oversee the four main water outlets in the park to spread the monitoring workload which reduced my workload, and in addition, there were few problems with the water outlets this year anyway.
- we did lose a sapling up on the laneway to vandalism – someone peeled the bark off the tree and it will die soon
- we also lost the new Shagbark Hickory and Bitternut Hickories most likely due to the fact that their deep taproots make them very hard to transplant. Yuen Dias, our contact at Forestry has said we'll hopefully get replacements next spring. The Shagbark had been particularly requested to replace the old dying one which had been orang-dot-of-deathed and was taken down this summer.
- our Park Supervisor tells us we may be getting 6 more Sakura Cherries and I've suggested they could form a nice grove around where the Shagbark used to be in the north end of the park – just to spread their spring beauty around a bit ;)
- the Rain Diary – I've been told by two programmers that the creation of an app for an automatic rain diary is easy-peasy. But I'm still waiting and it's been six months now. In its absence, I've been hand-entering a rolling seven-day rainfall total on our website as a tool for the tree adopters.
- SPENDING – the AAT cost $357 this season, for buggy and hose replacements, gas for the truck to bring everything to the park and take it back to my place for the winter, etc. (Carolyn has all the receipts – I confess I've forgotten what else might have been included on that cheque ;) All in all very modest costs.

IN OTHER TREE NEWS
1.) - 20 of the 84 ash trees in the park have been marked with the bright green metal tags which mean they will be treated with life-saving TreeAzin later this season or next spring to innoculate them from the Emerald Ash Borer. While no-one's actually sighted one the in the park (as far as I know), we're told to assume they are everywhere now. The innoculations are expensive and must be done every two years until the bug peaks which is expected in 2016 or 2017.
2.) – I'm working on a tree tour with the Canadian Tree Tours folks which we hope will go live in a few weeks. We've used the tree identification and gps information from the 2010 Tree Inventory by Brian Volz. The tour will exist as a downloadable map of the park and as an app for iPhones. I'm working with Baye Hunter on the Toronto Island and, indirectly, with Warren Hoselton, Park Supervisor over there. They did one for the island last year and were able to get signs affixed to the trees and a spraypainted symbol on the sidewalk to alert people to the signs and the tour info. While this is not necessary for our tree tour, it would be ideal if we can get a similar setup in Trinity Bellwoods. I will be in touch with Parks, etc shortly about this, as they and Councillor Layton were both supporters of a grant application I made for the idea this spring. (Our application wasn't successful but Baye's was so she included us.)

 - Suggestion at the meeting about AAT trees having signs saying they are being taking care of by Com volunteers.

5) Greenhouse - Anna
Officially recognized a Park amenity. Awesome! This means any repairs etc. will be taken care of by Parks. GH is active in Spring, it’s packed. All shelves used. Summer empties out, too hot in there. So how can we find appropo use of space in off season? Nursery? ‘Not far from tree’ approached, no response. Looking for a proposal for good use in this off season. Maryanne, Rec Center use? Discussion about how it is to hot in summer i.e. seedlings. Oct. to Feb, how to control temperature to help with it being more useful. Liberty Village kids will use this Fall. Call out, there is room for use. $2000 in GH account. So doing well, no big costs this year. Most likely will not need funds from Market this year. Cool. PF&R pay for utilities/heat. Every Jan ask for new Steer Com members i.e. coordinator, treasurer, secretary. Please step up if you are interested.

New Business:

6) Exercise & Slack-lining – PF&R offer of equipment of these sorts & possible adult exercise equip in park.

Slack-lining – park is popular location. Padding around trees is supported by SL community. Vance Gilbert brought some design ideas (w/quick explanation of slack-lining) based on meeting withAnna/Me/Brian, established a location favorable to all. He explains technical/engineering aspects of man-made SL poles, opposed to trees.   Concerns about soft bark trees not protected.   It is recognized there is a big slack line community.   Location took a lot of consideration to the ground, not interfering with other activities.

Discussion about locations ‘specific’ to a use, plunking down might not be good. Concerns about equipment not being used and going to disrepair. Discussion about trees in the way, potential damage. Queen St area densely populated. Consider north end. SLiners would they use at north end of park? Placement is key. Is there a network we can access? Leigh will be point person with Vance who will rally SL com and call out to them for their input - maybe have a meeting with in park? He will follow up with Leigh.

Please feel free to send Brian Green Parks Supervisor (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) about suggestions of location of SL.

Adult exercise equipment; We need images we can post on site for all to see. There is support to have something to utilize in park.

7) Little Free Library (LFL) presentation;

Greg York gives background, history, Bill Wrigly started it in Toronto/Canada. Ref. info supplied. 15 LFL in GTA now. Most are in Beaches. Have orders pending in other Wards. None in a park as of yet – though something on TO Island. TBP Greg’s home park. Have met/talked with QWBIA, Layton, Carolyn. ‘Awesome Foundation’ submission, presented in front of judges. Was winner of the month! Would like to contribute $500 towards TBP LFL project. He explains how it works: in park, needs a steward to check on regular basis. Location; playground may be a good use there. Vandalism discussion. Discussion about construction, cost, $1000. Basic one is $500. Permit needed? No, but installation is done by Parks. General feeling that it could be built for way less than $1000. Essentially they are looking for a local person to steward/coordinate this initiative. Discussion about construction, waterproof, door automantic closure.

Anna says it is a good use of our community funds. In general we are in favour of proposal and we will blast out to members.   The key is finding a spearhead. Carolyn will contact/coordinate the few people that have expressed interest via email. Once we find some one/Committee, then we can get the ball rolling in a more definitive way.  Interested people should email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

8) Tennis Club ;

Adam Kabelik (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) - Discusses the demand for ‘community’ courts in City. Many times he’s not been able to get in to TBP courts. Apparently the city has a mandate for more Com courts – a few years old and should find it. Feels that a community club will help lighten up the line ups. There are some models of on-line booking (1hour sessions). Would have club courts and public use courts. Concerns about quality of courts i.e. net height, surface. Questions about why does it have to be private. Adam expresses that there is such a demand and foresees this growing.

Marco (Councillors’s office)– public courts, any club that charges fee, not interested. Public courts are there to be used for public for free. Adam says it’s happened in other parks. How were other parks with clubs started? We don’t know. Perhaps Adam could investigate how those others came about. A fee will always be a concern when it comes to ‘public courts’.   Could it be an on-line booking without a fee? Who would manage? Could Councillor look into possibilities about building more courts somewhere else as option?

Who are paying, and why are they paying? Essential question from Marco.   Next step – get support from Friends, then Parks, then Councillor.

Adam to supply us/Carolyn with a paragraph for ‘call out’ to find tennis people to help him with proposal.

9) Jennifer Gagne (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )
- is doing Mstr Uof T, Urban Forestry. Work a master plan for Trinity Bellwoods area, outside of park too. Met Michaelle at a meeting. Would like to work with us and community groups in TB to draft this plan.

10) Stan Rzepka – has inherited a bunch of archival material related to area.
Gene T. will take on task of sorting through if there’s any good ones of park, I will scan for site or enlargements (!) and rest could go to TO archives.

 

Page 1 of 5

Join us on

Like us on FacebookFollow Us on Tritter

Join our Newsletter

captcha 

Follow Us

Search

Park Photos

Upcoming Events in the Park

Tue Sep 02 @ 3:00PM - 07:00PM
Trinity Bellwoods Farmers Market
Tue Sep 09 @ 3:00PM - 07:00PM
Trinity Bellwoods Farmers Market
Sat Sep 13 @11:00AM - 06:00PM
Queen West Art Crawl
Sun Sep 14 @11:00AM - 06:00PM
Queen West Art Crawl
Tue Sep 16 @ 3:00PM - 07:00PM
Trinity Bellwoods Farmers Market
Sat Sep 20 @10:00AM - 12:00PM
Bark for Life
Tue Sep 23 @ 3:00PM - 07:00PM
Trinity Bellwoods Farmers Market

Where's the park?

Trinity Bellwoods Map