Past Meetings

Meetings Past

Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park

Fall 2012 General Meeting was held September 26, 2012

Minutes: see below

WHEN: Wednesday, September 26, 7 to 8:30pm
WHERE: Trinity Recreation Centre

AGENDA
I. STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS (30 Minutes)
1) Introductions by Chair (Patricia) - 5 min.
2) Website & Twitter Update (Carolyn and Leigh) - 2 min.
3) Farmer's Market (Carolyn) - 5 min.
4) Adopt-a-tree 
& Tree Tour update (Michaelle) - 5 min.
5) Green House  (Anna) - 5 min.

II. PARK BUSINESS (30 Minutes)
6) New Slack-line and exercise equipment in the park-info update
7) Little Free Library presentation - seeking volunteer caretaker

III. OTHER BUSINESS (30 Minutes)

-----------------

Sept. 26, 2012 Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park meeting minutes
- taken by Carolyn Wong

Minutes:
CHAIR: Patricia Cavanaugh
7:05 pm start 

In Attendence (15) : Patricia Cavangh – meeting chair, Carolyn Wong – minutes, Leigh Nunan – Steering Committee, Anna Hill – Steering Committee, Greg York – Little Free Library, Chris Howe, Stan Rzepka, Vance Gilbert – Slack Liner, Bill Lobb, Adam Kabelik – Tennis Club, Marco Bianchi – Councillor Layton’s office, Maria Kasstan, Ausma Malik, Sue Campbell, Gene Throndyle, Jennifer Gagne

1) Patricia does Friends intro then, intros all around. 

2) FAcebook & Twitter - Leigh
Facebook about 300 members

Twitter 331 followers. Would like more followers.
Website is best resource. We try and keep calendar up to date as possible. Please check regularly for postings.

3) Season 6 for market. - Carolyn
Been another great year. Keeping a steady course on our mandate – farmer/food focused. Weather has been on large cooperative.   Our new storage shed is a huge help, great mural and is on large discrete, which was the goal. Only a few more market days left! Volunteers always needed. Contact us
www.tbfm.ca follow us on twitter?TBFarmersMarket (over 800 followers!). Should have treasurer report ready for next meeting….

4) AAT coordinator (Michaelle) not here, but sends this along:
- the program continues to gallop along. We started a bit early this season due to very early spring, and will continue to mid-October-ish depending on the weather and when the Parks staff turn off the water
- while I always feel we're a few people short of a completely full roster of adopters, it's really terrific and amazing and gratifying to see that we have 73 volunteers watering the 94 trees currently in the program.
- This year I added three "Water Captains" to help me oversee the four main water outlets in the park to spread the monitoring workload which reduced my workload, and in addition, there were few problems with the water outlets this year anyway.
- we did lose a sapling up on the laneway to vandalism – someone peeled the bark off the tree and it will die soon
- we also lost the new Shagbark Hickory and Bitternut Hickories most likely due to the fact that their deep taproots make them very hard to transplant. Yuen Dias, our contact at Forestry has said we'll hopefully get replacements next spring. The Shagbark had been particularly requested to replace the old dying one which had been orang-dot-of-deathed and was taken down this summer.
- our Park Supervisor tells us we may be getting 6 more Sakura Cherries and I've suggested they could form a nice grove around where the Shagbark used to be in the north end of the park – just to spread their spring beauty around a bit ;)
- the Rain Diary – I've been told by two programmers that the creation of an app for an automatic rain diary is easy-peasy. But I'm still waiting and it's been six months now. In its absence, I've been hand-entering a rolling seven-day rainfall total on our website as a tool for the tree adopters.
- SPENDING – the AAT cost $357 this season, for buggy and hose replacements, gas for the truck to bring everything to the park and take it back to my place for the winter, etc. (Carolyn has all the receipts – I confess I've forgotten what else might have been included on that cheque ;) All in all very modest costs.

IN OTHER TREE NEWS
1.) - 20 of the 84 ash trees in the park have been marked with the bright green metal tags which mean they will be treated with life-saving TreeAzin later this season or next spring to innoculate them from the Emerald Ash Borer. While no-one's actually sighted one the in the park (as far as I know), we're told to assume they are everywhere now. The innoculations are expensive and must be done every two years until the bug peaks which is expected in 2016 or 2017.
2.) – I'm working on a tree tour with the Canadian Tree Tours folks which we hope will go live in a few weeks. We've used the tree identification and gps information from the 2010 Tree Inventory by Brian Volz. The tour will exist as a downloadable map of the park and as an app for iPhones. I'm working with Baye Hunter on the Toronto Island and, indirectly, with Warren Hoselton, Park Supervisor over there. They did one for the island last year and were able to get signs affixed to the trees and a spraypainted symbol on the sidewalk to alert people to the signs and the tour info. While this is not necessary for our tree tour, it would be ideal if we can get a similar setup in Trinity Bellwoods. I will be in touch with Parks, etc shortly about this, as they and Councillor Layton were both supporters of a grant application I made for the idea this spring. (Our application wasn't successful but Baye's was so she included us.)

 - Suggestion at the meeting about AAT trees having signs saying they are being taking care of by Com volunteers.

5) Greenhouse - Anna
Officially recognized a Park amenity. Awesome! This means any repairs etc. will be taken care of by Parks. GH is active in Spring, it’s packed. All shelves used. Summer empties out, too hot in there. So how can we find appropo use of space in off season? Nursery? ‘Not far from tree’ approached, no response. Looking for a proposal for good use in this off season. Maryanne, Rec Center use? Discussion about how it is to hot in summer i.e. seedlings. Oct. to Feb, how to control temperature to help with it being more useful. Liberty Village kids will use this Fall. Call out, there is room for use. $2000 in GH account. So doing well, no big costs this year. Most likely will not need funds from Market this year. Cool. PF&R pay for utilities/heat. Every Jan ask for new Steer Com members i.e. coordinator, treasurer, secretary. Please step up if you are interested.

New Business:

6) Exercise & Slack-lining – PF&R offer of equipment of these sorts & possible adult exercise equip in park.

Slack-lining – park is popular location. Padding around trees is supported by SL community. Vance Gilbert brought some design ideas (w/quick explanation of slack-lining) based on meeting withAnna/Me/Brian, established a location favorable to all. He explains technical/engineering aspects of man-made SL poles, opposed to trees.   Concerns about soft bark trees not protected.   It is recognized there is a big slack line community.   Location took a lot of consideration to the ground, not interfering with other activities.

Discussion about locations ‘specific’ to a use, plunking down might not be good. Concerns about equipment not being used and going to disrepair. Discussion about trees in the way, potential damage. Queen St area densely populated. Consider north end. SLiners would they use at north end of park? Placement is key. Is there a network we can access? Leigh will be point person with Vance who will rally SL com and call out to them for their input - maybe have a meeting with in park? He will follow up with Leigh.

Please feel free to send Brian Green Parks Supervisor (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) about suggestions of location of SL.

Adult exercise equipment; We need images we can post on site for all to see. There is support to have something to utilize in park.

7) Little Free Library (LFL) presentation;

Greg York gives background, history, Bill Wrigly started it in Toronto/Canada. Ref. info supplied. 15 LFL in GTA now. Most are in Beaches. Have orders pending in other Wards. None in a park as of yet – though something on TO Island. TBP Greg’s home park. Have met/talked with QWBIA, Layton, Carolyn. ‘Awesome Foundation’ submission, presented in front of judges. Was winner of the month! Would like to contribute $500 towards TBP LFL project. He explains how it works: in park, needs a steward to check on regular basis. Location; playground may be a good use there. Vandalism discussion. Discussion about construction, cost, $1000. Basic one is $500. Permit needed? No, but installation is done by Parks. General feeling that it could be built for way less than $1000. Essentially they are looking for a local person to steward/coordinate this initiative. Discussion about construction, waterproof, door automantic closure.

Anna says it is a good use of our community funds. In general we are in favour of proposal and we will blast out to members.   The key is finding a spearhead. Carolyn will contact/coordinate the few people that have expressed interest via email. Once we find some one/Committee, then we can get the ball rolling in a more definitive way.  Interested people should email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

8) Tennis Club ;

Adam Kabelik (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) - Discusses the demand for ‘community’ courts in City. Many times he’s not been able to get in to TBP courts. Apparently the city has a mandate for more Com courts – a few years old and should find it. Feels that a community club will help lighten up the line ups. There are some models of on-line booking (1hour sessions). Would have club courts and public use courts. Concerns about quality of courts i.e. net height, surface. Questions about why does it have to be private. Adam expresses that there is such a demand and foresees this growing.

Marco (Councillors’s office)– public courts, any club that charges fee, not interested. Public courts are there to be used for public for free. Adam says it’s happened in other parks. How were other parks with clubs started? We don’t know. Perhaps Adam could investigate how those others came about. A fee will always be a concern when it comes to ‘public courts’.   Could it be an on-line booking without a fee? Who would manage? Could Councillor look into possibilities about building more courts somewhere else as option?

Who are paying, and why are they paying? Essential question from Marco.   Next step – get support from Friends, then Parks, then Councillor.

Adam to supply us/Carolyn with a paragraph for ‘call out’ to find tennis people to help him with proposal.

9) Jennifer Gagne (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
- is doing Mstr Uof T, Urban Forestry. Work a master plan for Trinity Bellwoods area, outside of park too. Met Michaelle at a meeting. Would like to work with us and community groups in TB to draft this plan.

10) Stan Rzepka – has inherited a bunch of archival material related to area.
Gene T. will take on task of sorting through if there’s any good ones of park, I will scan for site or enlargements (!) and rest could go to TO archives.

 

The Friends' Fall General Meeting was held Wed. Oct. 26th, 2011 from 7pm to 8:30pm at the Rec Center, main floor activity room.  Attached is a poster for meeting and the minutes from the meeting.

PDF Minutes from the meeting

PDF Attachment: TBP Sign Designs proposals

PDF Attachment: TBP Bike Sign Locations proposals

 

Meeting_flyer-Oct._26_11.pdf

Our general Park meeting before we take off the summer. Usual reports and some interesting proposals for the park! Basket ball anyone? Fountain? Better come for more info and to give feed back. All are welcome. 2nd Floor Art room of TRC. See complete meeting agenda below.

June_27-11_Minutes.pdf

FRIENDS OF TRINITY BELLWOODS
SUMMER COMMUNITY MEETING
JUNE 27, 2011

1) STEERING COMMITTEE REPORTS (30 Minutes)
1) Introductions (Anna) - 5 min.
2) Treasury Report (Carolyn) - 3 min.
3) Website Update (Carolyn) - 2 min.
4) Farmer's Market (Carolyn) - 5 min.
5) Adopt-a-tree (Michaelle) - 5 min.
6) Park Day (Michaelle and Anna) - 5 min.
7) Green House (Anna) - 5 min.

II. DEVELOPMENT ISSUES (30 Minutes)
1) West End Bikeway Proposal (Anna or Dave) + Q & A - 10 minutes
2) Basketball Court Proposal (Max) + Q & A - 10 minutes
3) Fountain Proposa (Bruce)l + Q & A - 10 minutes

III. NEW BUSINESS (15 Minutes)
1) ACAPO Review (Carolyn) 5 minutes
2) GSUS Note - Proposed Event-Pending (Duane) + Q & A - 5 minutes
3) Georgetown South Project -Proposed Neighborhood Development (Carmen) + Q & A - 5 minutes

*FRIENDS OF TRINITY BELLWOODS*
*COMMUNITY MEETING AGENDA*
*FEBRUARY 13, 2007*

*I. GENERAL*-

1. Some dates to remember-
April 17th-Spring Community Meeting
April 21st Park Clean Up (10 AM-noon, at the playground)
May 27th-Spring Park Day, (10 AM-noon, at the playground)
June 12th-Summer Community Meeting
*(*All meetings will take place in the 2nd floor Art Room at the
Community Centre from 7 PM-8:30 PM unless otherwise noted)
2. Treasury Report
3. Annual Review of Progress toward Short and Medium Term Goals at April
17th Meeting
4. Call for new Steering Committee Members, Committee Leaders, and
Committees at April 17th Meeting

*II. EVENTS/COMMUNICATION COMMITTEE REPORT*

*III. GREEN SPACE COMMITTEE REPORT*

*IV. RECREATION CENTER COMMITTEE REPORT*

*V. PLAYGROUND COMMITTEE REPORT*

*VI. FARMER'S MARKET COMMITTEE REPORT*

Attached are the meeting minutes from the Spring General Meeting, which took place at the Recreation Centre on April 17, 2007.

pdf Minutes_041707_final.pdf

Page 2 of 5

Join us on

Like us on FacebookFollow Us on Tritter

Join our Newsletter

captcha 

Follow Us

Search

Park Photos

Upcoming Events in the Park

No events

Where's the park?

Trinity Bellwoods Map