GREENHOUSE MEETING NOTES
FRIENDS OF TRINITY BELLWOODS
July 15, 2008
2) NEW PURCHASES-We will buy rubber gloves, anti-bacterial soap, & some fertilizer for the greenhouse. We will ask the construction crews at the tennis courts if they can space two buckets full of gravel for the fence posts at the greenhouse. Anna will bring in more Sharpies. All purchases will be reimbursed at the September meeting so please save your receipts.
3) GARDENING- We have an APHID PROBLEM. If you see an aphid on any plant, please use Safe Soap mixture in spray bottle and spray the plant. Scan all the other plants to see if aphids are present. Spray any plant with bugs. In addition, please continue with fence construction, watering, cleaning dirty pots and picking off old blossoms of petunias and marigolds. Lastly, we might try starting leafy greens in cedar boxes. The trouble is that aphids like leafy greens. Sprouts with peat moss are another option.
4) HIGH PARK GREENHOUSE REQUEST-Anna will contact High Park greenhouses to see if they want to start some fall plants for us. Kathy will pick up the seedlings and return the pots by car.
5) SEPTEMBER CLEANING PARTY- Let’s tentatively schedule a September 20th 4-6 PM Cleaning Party at the greenhouse. We can remove everything inside and scrub the place down to remove any mould that might have accumulated over the summer months. Non-toxic mould remover from a boating supply shop may be used.
6) GREENHOUSE SIGN-Jessica and Michelle have offered to paint a community sign for the greenhouse. Text will be sent out to the group for approval.
7) NO STONE PATH-Since the new road will deflect water from the turf around the greenhouse, it was decided to keep the soft, mulch paths rather than pursue design and construction of a stone path.
8) GREENHOUSE BLOG-Anna will make a clearer link to the greenhouse blog on the Friends of Trinity Bellwoods website.